Hollowforth - Maps & Aerial

 

Background


The earliest OS map from the 1840's doesn't really have a lot of detail.

The OS map from the 1890's shows the layout more or less unchanged. The mill appears to cross the mill race. Even on this map there is no sign of a mill pond. Perhaps it was originally under the canal?


Poor quality on this 1940's photograph.

The 1960's aerial photograph, when compared to the modern one below, shows how Barton brook has been altered.


Left middle shows the dig site surrounded by orange plastic fencing to keep the sheep away. The depression in the grass is probably an old pipeline shown more obviously on the 1960's aerial photograph.

Presumably the straightening of the brook was to avoid flooding. The mill site is to the left of the building next to the canal.

The above image (published courtesy of Lancashire Archives) shows the area around Hollowforth Mill. The original, base map, looks to have been produced around 1800 from the names of the land owners but has been added to as a working document. At this date the Mill Cottage was two, separate, buildings and the mill itself straddles the mill race.

The tithe map for the area is to be found on a section of the Goosnargh and Newsham map.  Dated 1842.

 

Image reproduced courtesy of Lancashire Archives.