Down River Winster to where we began - distance 4 miles
LRO ref DDX 194/50
The final stage from Witherslack Bridge down to Grange was measured like so much of this long loop using a datum line with offsets. Each time the direction of the datum line changed then the angle of deviation was measured using range poles. The angle of change was recorded in degrees and minutes.
As a reminder
1 pole = 5.5 yards
1 chain = 4 poles = 22 yards [length of a cricket pitch]
1 furlong = 40 poles = 220 yards
1 mile = 8 furlongs = 1760 yards
1 degree = 60 minutes
This was a piece of accurate traverse surveying, if they arrived exactly at starting point ref A at Grange, considering it was done over rough undulating country more than three hundred years ago in 1685.
Witherslack Bridge was 275 yards east of the datum line and the church was less than a mile further away. St Mary’s chapel stood near Witherslack Hall, but was in a ruinous state in 1664 according to the will of John Barwick. Dean Barwick died in 1664 and was buried in St Paul’s Cathedral. He bequeathed monies for repairs to the old chapel and a new burial ground. Previously the dead had to be carried on a dangerous journey across the sands to the mother church at Beetham for burial. St Paul’s church was built on ground donated by the Earl of Derby and consecrated by the Bishop of Chester in 1671. Peter Barwick, the executor of the will, further endowed the charitable trust to provide an income for a school, apprenticeships, the advancement of scholars, the “mayds portion” or dowry and fuel for the aged and infirm.
Down river at 1.5 miles was Lilley Dubbs where the river meandered severely by Wilson House. Passing Lindale came to Roger Kilner’s at Castle Head. The river at that time bore to the right then due south, past the two salt cotes now Grange Golf Club, to the coast. The river Winster was diverted in a straight line out to the sands when the railway was constructed.
The surveyors gave a reference point L at Holme Island with a bearing, which suggests that it was an island perhaps at high tide. The note said
L & ye north east end of ye Home Isle - 332 degrees
Ye other end - 340 degees 20 minutes
After passing Holme Island they walked across the sands by Blawith Point and by the five houses in Grange a distance of 4 furlongs and 30 poles together with an angle of 142 degrees and 15 minutes towards Humphry Head and the note “where wee began near ye Grange”